Team Aguri is one of nine founding teams to compete in the FIA Formula E world championship and the only outfit with a history in Formula 1, having competed under the guise of Super Aguri between 2006-2008.
The team has a wholly unique story to tell and was eager to tap into the growing global fanbase that Formula E was attracting through a partnership with Apex Racing PR.
To provide a full press office function for Team Aguri to build the team’s reputation and to support marketing functions during the 2015/16 Formula E season, including:
- Race weekend media relations support
- Social media management of all team platforms
- Developing website content to build the team’s brand
- Developing social media campaigns to support growth and greater engagement
- Managing team announcements (e.g. commercial partnerships, driver announcements, etc)
- Managing crisis response
Working closely with the team’s commercial department and the race crew, Apex Racing PR delivered a tailor-made solution to showcase that Team Aguri is a strong investment opportunity and a highly successful racing team that is working towards a long-term development plan.
The service included:
- Race week press office function – Developing and issuing pre- and post-race press releases, producing race weekend PR schedules, managing team and driver media commitments throughout the weekend, and working with Formula E Holdings to support broader series PR activities
- Full press office function – Identifying proactive media interview and profiling opportunities, as well as producing team news announcements such as sponsorship deals, driver changes and supplier updates
- Social media – Day-to-day management of social media accounts. Providing strategies to grow engagement levels and following as well as regular reports on performance and competitors
- Website content – Developing regular team news stories as well as exclusive articles to give a better insight into the team’s operations and personnel for fans, sponsors and the media
- Aguri Art – Formula E has a broad appeal, including a wealth of younger fans. In order to tap into their interest and recognise their support, Apex Racing PR devised the Aguri Art content. Run through the team’s social media channels, fans shared their design concepts, sketches and videos with Team Aguri, who then shared their art with the world and offered signed prizes as a reward
Apex Racing PR has delivered the second highest amount of media coverage of any team on the FIA Formula E grid, while also ensuring that Team Aguri has the greatest levels of social media engagement and growth.
Of particular note, Apex Racing PR was responsible for publicising Gulf Oil’s title sponsorship of the team – the first time the famous blue and orange Gulf Racing colours have appeared in single seater racing. The announcement generated global coverage with a potential reach of over 200 million readers, and delivered the key message that Gulf Oil is delivering solutions for emerging automotive technologies.
Results in numbers:
Total coverage reach: 800 million readers
Total social media shares: 145 thousand
Social media engagement growth: 200%
Social media following growth: 186%
Return on Investment: 625%